Co-Valedictorian Chooses UConn Thanks to Scholarship

Avatar photo
Jennifer Doak-Mathewson

2 min read

Thanks to the Stamps Leadership Scholarship—which provides a gift match for donations and full financial support for extraordinary students—a co-valedictorian can study abroad, participate in research opportunities, and work toward her dream of becoming a physician.

Ashwini Joshi '16“I was surprised and thrilled that I was selected for this important cause,” said Ashwini Joshi ’16, who is studying biomedical engineering at UConn. “Scholarships have helped me afford a UConn education and I hope that by telling people about their importance, I will inspire others to donate.”

Hear Ashwini’s WNPR segment, which will broadcast early this year:

[Listen to Joshi’s NPR Segment]

Joshi graduated from Hall High School in West Hartford, Conn., and shared the top academic honor with another student. Thanks to the Stamps Scholarship, which she was awarded in 2013, Ashwini was able to focus on her studies and participate in extracurricular activities. She studied in France, joined the engineering sorority Phi Sigma Rho, and is active in the UConn Honors program.

“A major reason why I decided to attend UConn was, in fact, the Stamps Scholarship,” she told the Stamps Family Charitable Foundation, which provides the dollar-for-dollar match for scholarships. “I felt I could distinguish myself at UConn more than at any other university. Also, UConn’s school spirit and beautiful campus make for a great college experience!”

During her summer abroad in France, Ashwini was able to take an intensive language course in Toulouse. “We also had the opportunity to participate in cultural activities, visiting museums and the Airbus factory, and exploring villages in the French countryside,” she said. “Through this study abroad program, I learned more about French language, culture, and history than I ever would have been able to otherwise.”

The Stamps Family Charitable Foundation not only supports the full cost of attendance for extraordinary students like Ashwini, but also provides funding for summer research projects and a yearly conference, where Stamps Scholars can share their experiences and ideas. UConn is one of a select group of universities chosen by the Foundation to participate in this opportunity, along with institutions like the University of Virginia, UCLA, University of Texas at Austin, Purdue University, and the College of William & Mary.

Support the Student Excellence & Scholarship Fund and have your donation, of any size, doubled automatically.

Support Stamps Scholars

Read the press release

Jonathan at an event in Hartford CT
Connect with fellow Huskies
Don't miss out on alumni events and more