Ignite was UConn's first crowdfunding competition that gaveUConn students and young alumni the opportunity to follow, connect with, and support causes at the University of Connecticut that they are most passionate about.
The group with the highest number of donors who are student and young UConn alumni (Class of 2003-2012) before May 3, 2013 received the top award of $10,000 to their selected UConn Foundation fund. The next six groups with the highest number of donors were awarded $2,500 to their UConn Foundation fund.
Ignite Finale and Winner Announcements!
And the winners are...
6th runner up - $2,500 – Eurotech, 165 Donors, $1,446.34 Gifts to Eurotech will be used to support all activities of the Eurotech program, Eurotech is an exciting dual degree program in Engineering and German, culminating in a BS degree in Engineering and a BA degree in German Studies.
5th runner up - $2,500 – Pharmacy Student Leaders, 170 Donors, $1,840.70 Gifts to the Pharmacy Student Leaders Fund will provide general student support in the School of Pharmacy and may be used for scholarships, student travel, student organizations, and leadership programs.
4th runner up - $2,500 – UConn Marching Band: Ignite the Pride, 190 Donors, $1,838.00 Gifts to UCMB Outreach: Ignite the Pride! will be used for all marching band activities like travel to competitions, uniforms, instruments, and band community service activities like the Funky Dawgs Second Line Band Music Education Project Tour.
3rd runner up - $2,500 – UConn Ski Team, 212 Donors, $1,603.00 Gifts to the UConn Ski Team will be used to support ski team activities such as UConn representation at regional and national competitions and may include travel costs.
2nd runner up - $2,500 – BRIDGE, 224 Donors, $2,998.81 Gifts to the BRIDGE Program will support readiness program designed to prepare incoming freshman engineering students from under-represented populations for their first year at the University through intensive review of key concepts in math, chemistry, physics and computers.
1st runner up - $2,500 – Husky Sport, 312 Donors, $4,401.20 Gifts to Husky Sport will be used to support service-learning and community outreach program within the Neag School of Education’s Department of Kinesiology
1st Place - $10,000 – Community Outreach Alternative Breaks, 351 Donors, $2,723.10 Gifts to Community Outreach Alternative Breaks will be used to support and enhance the initiatives of Community Outreach and Community Service-Learning programs and services like alternative spring break programs.
In total, 2,631 individuals gave $40,756.64 to all of teams combined. 101 of those individuals gave a gift to more than one group and sometimes three groups! WOW!
- For the donations that counted towards the Ignite competition – students and young alumni – 2,197 individuals fit the criteria and gave $23,447.84.
- 88% of the 2,197 student and young alumni donors made their FIRST donation ever to UConn this year.
- Compared to last year at this time, there are 4x the number of student donors and almost 2x as many young alumni donors
- Highest Number of Overall Donors: CO, 417 donors
- Highest Number of Overall Dollars: Husky Sport, $5983.15
- Most creative marketing – UConn Formula SAE and UCMB Outreach: Ignite the Pride
- Best Ignite Social Media Platform and/or Use – Husky Sport
- Best Ignite solicitation for students – SSS 4 PhD
- Best Ignite solicitation for Young Alumni – Pharmacy Student Leaders Fund
- Best Ignite related event – Asian American Cultural Center 20th Anniversary
- Best donor stewardship and recognition – Huskies: Enciende Tu Antorcha, PRLACC
Show your pride: Join the Student Philanthropy Association!
Use your skills, innovation and creativity to give back and better UConn for future Huskies. By serving on the SPA, you can help raise money for UConn and gain direct experience in marketing, philanthropy, and fundraising while working alongside Foundation and University staff, influential donors and others.
This is a unique opportunity to personally influence the success of YOUR student giving campaign and build your resume with new skills that will help you in your future career, wherever your path may lead.
Weekly General Members Meeting
Monday Evenings 5:30 – 6:30 PM
UConn Foundation, 2390 Alumni Drive, Storrs
University of Connecticut Foundation
For more information
Students Today. Huskies Forever.